The Importance of Hiring a Lawyer to Represent You During Your Divorce
Hiring a lawyer for a divorce is recommended by the New York State Unified Court System. The New York Courts website notes:
we strongly suggest that you give serious thought to using a lawyer for your divorce, even if you believe that your divorce will be “uncontested” (i.e., your spouse will not oppose the divorce in any way). There can be a lot more to think about than just ending the marriage and filling out court papers. (For example, there may be property to divide between you and your spouse or you may need an Order of Protectionand/or child support and other financial support, among other things.)
You should consult with a lawyer particularly if:
- Children are involved.
- You have been married for a long time (over 5 years).
- The value of the property and assets involved is high or the ownership is likely to be contested.
- There is a history of violence in the family or your spouse might accuse you of being violent.
- You or your children have special health concerns.
- Your spouse is likely to contest your divorce.
- Your spouse is offering terms that seem unfair.
- Your spouse hires a lawyer.
Even if you are a lawyer, you should get a lawyer to handle your divorce. Regardless of how well you understand the legal concepts, you need someone who can look at your case objectively and help you find a winning strategy.
A lawyer may be in a better position to advise you about future situations that you may not have thought about. For example, if you fight hard to get your home, is it likely you will not be able to afford to maintain it? You may have given up bargaining power to get your home which you have to give up anyway because you cannot afford it. If you have to sell your home, will you be able to do so when the market is right? So many logistical details can make the difference between your life post-divorce being financially stable or a complete mess.
Your lawyer should take the time to get to know you and your concerns. People have different situations so a one-size-fits-all strategy is unlikely to be suitable for you. Not only is it important to find a lawyer, it is important to find a good lawyer who will represent you. Find a lawyer who takes the time to learn about your case and shows an understanding of what you want.
Attributes to look for in a good divorce lawyer for a New York divorce include:
- Many years of experience in divorce and family law.
- Licensed in New York and experienced with New York law.
- Highly skilled at both negotiation and litigation.
For more information on hiring a lawyer for your divorce, consult the Law Offices of Brian D Perskin and hire the BEST Divorce Strategy Lawyer. We are more than happy to discuss your situation and options for a winning divorce strategy to get you the best and most equitable result for both you and your family.