Victims of domestic violence often have much to worry about. They may fear that they will lose custody of their children to their abusive spouse or lose their economic security if their spouse is awarded all the money and assets. The fear of such outcomes is terrifying, which is why you need to speak with an experienced New York divorce & family lawyer immediately.
If you are a victim of domestic abuse, and aspects of a custody arrangement or a visitation schedule is being disputed, you should contact Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. Our Firm has represented countless domestic violence victims and we have a proven track record of success.
Domestic violence can be physical, mental, or emotional. It can also involve psychological intimidation. Most often, abusers use these forms of violence against their spouse to establish control and create fear. Some abusers may even be overly controlling of the marital property and financial income.
Experiencing any type of abuse can leave you in real fear for your safety and that of your children. By consulting an attorney experienced in helping the victims of domestic violence, you can take legal action that will help this abuse STOP. An attorney can help you in getting a divorce from your abusive spouse and can help you file an Order of Protection to protect you from further domestic violence.
Additionally, there are steps that you can take personally that will help. If you are experiencing any form of domestic violence, and you are preparing for a divorce, it is important that you keep records of the following:
- A copy all of financial records. Keep them in a place where your spouse cannot find them. Do not let your spouse know you have made copies.
- Written records of all interactions with the abuser, including exact times and dates. Keep track of when children are picked up and returned, dates and amounts of child support, and any violations of court orders of protection.
- Documentation of abuse, including police reports, medical records, photographs, and claims for crime victim compensation.
- Certified copy of the marriage certificate.
- Rent receipts, bank statements, utility bills, credit card records, and children’s report cards.
These documents will be crucial when the court decides on the division of your marital property and custody arrangements or visitation. These documents will also be useful if there are future incidents of abuse. Do not let fear stop you from fighting for your rights and the best interest of your children. At Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C., a lawyer at our firm will stand up for you.
We will give you advice regarding the custody of your children, visitation, and your divorce. Remember, it is important to think about the long-term well being of your children when making these decisions.
Your lawyer at our firm can help to make sure that you and your family is protected. We will do everything possible to fight for the safety and financial security of you and your children. You do not have to deal with these daunting issues alone, so contact a New York domestic violence lawyer from our office today!